Table of Contents
What is HTTP or HTTPS?
Http stands for “Hypertext Transfer Protocol” Http presents information on the internet. HTTP is used for transferring data over the internet most of the data includes the Website, and API calls use the HTTP protocol. Http work with two types of HTTP messages Responses or Requests.
What is a Requests or Responses message?
Requests are made by a client for searching resources through the internet or hyperlinks. For example, when we search on Google “what is HTTP” it shows many links or hyperlinks on pages when we click on a link it requests a server to expand the information in the hyperlink.
Responses are answers from a Web Server that are given to the client as per their requests.
Structure of Request and Responses work?
Once you make a Request, Response allows you to access the website including GET/POST, Headers, and Body (a complete program of that page).
When a server gets a request and its response like in the following Example –
What kinds of Request Methods?
- GET – Data transfer through the URL is not secure because you can see data directly through the ULR or it is visible.
- HEAD – It same as the GET method but it only shows the header section or status line.
- POST – The POST method sends a file or information in the body message method to the server.
- PUT – The PUT method is used to overwrite or replace the data with others, or it deletes any local resource properties that not including in the request.
- DELETE – Remove all current representations of the target resources given by a URL.
- OPTIONS – Option methods used to represent a request about the communication option for the target resources.
- TRACE – Trace method performs a message loop-back test along the path to the target resources.
- CONNECT – It creates a tunnel to the server identified by a given URL.
What Is HTTPS?
We learned about HTTP now the question is what is HTTPS? Here S for ‘secure’ HTTPS is a hypertext transfer protocol secure to encrypt HTTP requests and responses, so in the above example, instead of text, it shows all details of the server with resources, an attacker easily can hack it.
In HTTPS the attackers see something like that:
How does TLS or SSL encrypt the data in HTTPS?
SSL stands for ‘Secure Socket Layer’. SSL encrypts the data between the web server and the web browser. All data transferring between them are encrypted by asymmetrical encryption 256/1024/2048 bit key more. So that anyone who wants to intercept communication can only see a random string or characters, not the plaintext.
How HTTPS server verified a client?
Verification is meant by authentication when a client request to access any resources, the web server shows an SSL certificate, client needs to verify it then when it’s successfully verified, the client can access data from a website or web server. Authentication helps to build trust among the users.